Saturday, 22 August 2015

Are you another Multipotentialite?

I had a fab playday at the Festival of Quilts with my lovely friend Alison.
It's usually quieter on  Sunday and so we spent lots of time chatting to textile artists Frances Pickering (and husband Jim,) Hilary Beattie and Janet Clare, which was  lovely!  As usual though,  afterwards I was in awe of these marvelously focused  and talented ladies, and felt cross with myself, wondering why it is I can't settle to one discipline.

Then Charlotte introduced me to the concept of 'scanners' and lent me this book 'Refuse to Choose' by Barbara Sher. (Cue King Kong size lightbulb going on over  my head!)
 
 ''Multipotentialites ( scanners, Renaissance souls, polymaths) generally have diverse interests across numerous domains and may be capable of success in many endeavors or professions, they are confronted with unique decisions as a result of these choices.”
 
– Wiki Link

It seems like common sense when someone else explains it, but for the last 40 years or so I honestly though there was something wrong with me. I keep thinking I've found 'it',  learn /extract all I can/need to and then, I get bored, loose focus and  'ooh, look, shiny...' I've found the next wonderful all encompassing thing I want to do/learn about.

Naturally, I've become obsessed with finding out  everything I can about this! :)

I've discovered Emilie Wapnick and  Puttylike.  So fascinating and helpful too.  I know this concept applies to some of you, or possibly to  friends and family members, so do watch Emilie's  TED talk below, because I think you might find it interesting. x







Post a Comment