Saturday, 4 October 2014

Summer meeting autumn....

 Autumn is here, but no one told seems to have told Summer! 

From my wanderings late in September.

Amazing seedheads of Wild Carrot - or Queen Anne's Lace, as we call it!

Bumble bee lazily foraging on Red Bartsia.

Watermint still flourishing in the dew pond.
 
Bindweed everywhere - but how beautiful it is!

I caught this Southern Hawker dragonfly sunning itself. It was absolutely stunning and kindly stayed around for me to photograph it.

As did a late red tailed bumble bee...

 under the sloes - waiting to be picked for sloe gin!
 
I love this time of year - and I have a lot of sympathy with Emily Bronte!


Fall, leaves, fall; die, flowers, away;
Lengthen night and shorten day;
Every leaf speaks bliss to me
Fluttering from the autumn tree.
I shall smile when wreaths of snow
Blossom where the rose should grow;
I shall sing when night’s decay
Ushers in a drearier day. 
 
Post a Comment