Monday 27 July 2015

In a Blue Mood

Last week didn't end well. Our car was hit by an out of control vehicle on the motorway. We're ok now, but it was a horrible shock and we are still going through all the hassle with insurance etc,  and hoping the car isn't written off. Amazingly, no one was seriously injured for which I am devoutly thankful.

As you can imagine, this has put me out of sorts for a few days, and not much work has been done. I did have a lovely  relaxing afternoon sketching with the Urban Sketchers Bristol/South West  (if you're on Face Book, apologies to  those who aren't) on Saturday, when the sun shone,  but did more chatting than sketching. I haven't been able to settle  to complete my workshop sample, but I have started thread doodling again.

Although I don't consider myself a 'blue' person, this slate blue hue calls to me and its now one of my favourite colours.


Originally, I  drew the flower as a motif on some tea dyed calico, but felt I needed to go on with the process after stitching it.
I used just plain stranded cotton in different shades of this grey blue colour.


I didn't use beads or objects to accentuate the stitching, but just described the texture by using different stitches.


  
It did give me a lot of opportunity for knots too :) 

Thanks to everyone for the dyeing tips and info, which has been so helpful.  I plan to tint more fabric as soon as I don't feel quite so tired and achy, and when it finally stops raining!  


13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmm, love that moody blue! So pleased you weren't hurt in the accident and fingers crossed the car isn't a write off.

Deb said...

Jules, so thankful no one was injured in the accident and hope your poor car can be repaired. What a frightening ordeal :O( Love those moody blues and the texture you've achieved with your lovely stitches is amazing!

margaret said...

what a very nasty experience but so god to read that you and DH were not badly hurt, the shock itself is bad enough and no doubt it will take a while for the aches and pains to go so rest up and enjoy the chance of a few lazy days. The stitching is lovely, reminds me of a sunflower but blue! and love all the knotty bits beside it, take care trust you will soon get the car back hopefully you have a curtesy car till then.

Valerie Gardiner said...

What a wonderful piece of embroidery, I love the knots, they look like curly hair! So glad you weren't hurt in the accident and you're feeling better. I know it takes a while to get over the shock too!

Rachel said...

I'm glad to hear you're all uninjured, but that will explain why you've been feeling out of sorts. It takes a while to recover from being shaken up like that!

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

Stitching is a good thing to do when you feel achy. This is gorgeous! Did you use Valdani? I need to send you some more. :)
Hugs to you dear friend.

Starr White said...

Thank the Lord you weren't hurt! Take care of yourself and you'll be good as new in a few days :) a hot bath and a glass of wine never hurts in these situations ;))))

crazyQstitcher said...

It's good to know that nobody was hurt in this nasty experience and hope you'll be fine very soon.

Your blue flower is wonderful! The varieties of blue add to the appearance and the knots and bullions too. This would be lovely on a lapel or blouse.

sharonb said...

This is just gorgeous - no more to be said ... to busy drooling

Tammie Lee said...

I am so thankful that you are all ok from the accident. that must be quite shocking!

your stitching and coloring is lovely and soothing. perhaps perfect for you now.

wishing you peace and grace.

Shashi Nayagam said...

Oh Jules so sorry about your accident. But I am so glad no serious injury happened to anyone. It must have been so scary.
Love your your flowers in blue. They are beautiful.

Elizabeth Braun said...

Oh no! Only just seen this (need some serious blog catching up time, but I'm madly stitching for this year's show and keeping computer time to a minimum).

I'm so glad you're OK. We skidded on some ice on a motorway slip road last January and I'm still monster nervous in the car - esp. when Sir swerves at any time, or even when I'm not expecting a lane change etc. Sometimes I simply have to keep my eyes shut!

Lots of hugs!

xxxx

Janice / Dancing with Sunflowers said...

This is beautiful, Jules. I love how your use of colour mimics how the light would fall on the piece. At first I thought that was what it was. Your stitching is gorgeous.
I hope you're now feeling more relaxed and that the aftermath of the accident - insurance, tension, etc, are going smoothly.