Sunday 18 January 2015

And even more sketches....

I'm managing to keep up the challenges - just. Work keeps getting in the way though :)

Dragonfly for 'Bugs' Sketch a day Challenge

 
Crumpets and marmalade: Which I sneakily used for both challenges on different days.

 

The last gift  you received:  My beautiful owl pendant made by  my favourite jewelry maker Joanne May
 

A mythological creature -  I chose The Jackalope!

  

A Station; This was a really hard one for me . Luckily I have an elder brother who made me watch lots of Alistair Maclean films when I was a child!


Draw a recipe: I did - but too quickly, and left out the flour and butter! :) Oops. It is a great recipe though, really easy!


I lumped together Black and White/Found objects on a nature walk. We have high winds and torrential storms at the moments,  so this was a very quick scribble of one of our local badgers!

  

Some of these worked better than others, but I decided to post them whatever I feel about them. The important thing is to keep drawing and try new things. Before I started I would have kept to just doing things in the same way.  It really helps having interaction with others and I find this has kept me going.  Previously, any art work I did was a very isolated affair, because of my lack of confidence,  but I've come to realise over the last year or so the importance of sharing and communicating about the process. 

 Alongside the challenges I'm doing Liz Steel's on-line Sketching Now Foundations class. Liz is a highly respected and talented Urban Sketcher. I'm enjoying taking part very much, and finding the content and  teaching excellent. I'll  tell you  more about the class soon. Today though,  the sun is shining at last - and I want to get out and do my homework :)!

12 comments:

Starr White said...

these are wonderful Jules! My favorite is the recipe - I'm imagining a whole wonderful little recipe book done in this way. Perhaps a book about the art of afternoon tea with recipes for delicious little cakes and sandwiches and different kinds of tea. How I wish I could draw like you!!!

Rachel said...

It's going very well - and I'm particularly taken with the brockis (badger) !

Andy Lloyd Williams said...

Your owl pendant is fabulous - it looks a very difficult item to draw, but you have conquered it1 Loved all the sketches.

Alex said...

As ever, a fabulous range of subjects and compositions.

sharonb said...

Wonderful to see these drawings shared. I see no problems with using a drawing for 2 challenges - giggles to self - I do it all the time.
I love when you say in your second last paragraph "I've come to realise over the last year or so the importance of sharing and communicating about the process. " That is a huge thing and lots of people dont ever see it. Drawing and art is a cultural activity - it has to live within a larger culture - I dont want to get all academic on you but it is like someone trying to be a musician without ever wanting other people hear them play a tune. Once you learn the scales and play a tune I say once you have a tune dance! With drawing I see you as way past the learning scales phase ....

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

I love them all, but you know my favorite is the Jackalope. ;)

Shashi Nayagam said...

Absolutely brilliant Jules love them all

JennaLouiseCreates said...

Oh Jules these are so lovely and I understand how work can get in the way:) Thank you for sharing and welcoming me back again:) I am enjoying visiting blogging friends again and sharing their creative spirit.

Valerie Gardiner said...

It's nice to see your sketches Jules, I do agree that it's good to be challenged to draw different subjects in different ways. There are several on the list that I would not have attempted and keeping up with the daily sketching gets a bit hard too!

Deb said...

Your sketches are wonderful Jules, you have no reason to lack confidence! I so admire you for getting outside of your comfort zone and sketching subjects you normally would not draw, they are all great!

Veronica Roth said...

Very nice collection of sketches Jules. It's always good to be challenged. Wish I had more time. Hey, what ever happened to my New Year's resolution to stop running out of time and start running into it? :D

Jo Potter said...

A really good collection of sketches Jules and great to see you have included the owl pendant. Thank you for giving me a mention here! :-)
I especially love the badger drawing, he is adorable. You really have a talent for drawing nature, truly beautiful.
Have a great weekend.
Best wishes,
Jo. xx