Monday 13 July 2015

Brown Paper and Stitch Book

Another  experiment - working with recycled material. Inspired by my workshop at the end of last summer with  Frances Pickering  I wanted to make a simple book using paint and stitch. This little prototype is made entirely from the brown paper packing material used by a well known on-line company (other brown papers are available!) :)

 I've been  playing about with the momigami, (paper kneading) technique, I found in Cas Holmes
 ' The Found Object in Textile Art'. I'd love to know if anyone else has used it?  The cover was molded and bonded  to stiffen it - and hopefully make it durable! It gave a nice, leathery effect.



Inside colour pencil worked  quite effectively  on the dyed paper. 



On the right are a couple of blank notebooks I put together with momigami covers.


 This is my favourite page. I have a thing about the arum family!



 I'm happy with this and learnt a lot of useful things making it!

One of the good things about being a curious bumblebee is that  you can buzz back to the same flower. Over the last few weeks, I find myself being drawn back more strongly to embroidery.

Isn't it odd though, that when you feel the need for a change,  the past rears its head?
Last week I had three separate enquirers asking me if they could see my dolls - and would I run a doll class again?  It was  lovely to be asked - then I realised I hadn't actually got one single place with my photos  - so I decided to add some new pages here. It did seem strange to put them back on my blog, after all!

16 comments:

Janine said...

It is wonderful! I want to try it!

Rachel said...

That does look like an intriguing technique, full of interesting possibilities!

Elizabeth Braun said...

Those are lovely! Sigh! Wish I was as good with my pen and pencil as you are. I need to work on that one....

Sharyn Sowell Art said...

Lovely, Jules! I have pinned this to my pinterest board of gifted artist friends.

Valerie Gardiner said...

Ooh Jules, this is lovely, I've never heard of momigami so I will be searching the internet to find out more. Funnily enough I happen to have a stash of that brown paper 'just in case!'

Anonymous said...

I've got Cas Holmes' book, but haven't tried the technique. Seeing what a lovely effect it's given, looks like I'll have to give it a go the next time a certain company's parcels drop through the door!!

sharonb said...

Jules this is lovely - I love the feel of the thing - well what I imagine it to be because I am seeing photos of course but you know what I mean.

Tammie Lee said...

these are absolutely gorgeous, each page!
I really loved seeing them and considering how you made them.
I also have never heard of or tried this technique.

Deb said...

Beautiful Jules, I've not heard of this technique and will have to do some research. Lovely sketches and I think the addition of the stitching is a perfect touch. Can't wait to see where your muse takes you next!

Janice / Dancing with Sunflowers said...

Your little book is delightful, and I could see instantly the influence of Frances Pickering. I have one of her books and would love to create something like this. But you've personalised it by using the recycling technique. Never heard of that, but it looks good.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jules, I know what you mean. For example it was strange looking at your gorgeous new book! I got a little twinge until I suddenly remembered I no longer make these sort of things! LOL! Change is funny that way I guess. Anyway, I really enjoyed seeing your book... it is really beautiful!!!
Hugs and enjoy the week my dear friend,
Beth P

Starr White said...

This is wonderful, Jules! the texture makes me want to reach into the screen and touch it! absolutely gorgeous all around, and now I think I must check out this Frances Pickering person too.

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

Jules, this is just so drop dead gorgeous!!!!! I looooooooooove it!!!

crazyQstitcher said...

What a beautiful keepsake you have created. I love each of your painted pages.

Acornmoon said...

Gorgeous book JUles, what an interesting cover too.

Shashi Nayagam said...

Jules this is absolutely gorgeous!